There are several potential gremlins that could impede the success of a programme and the backup of an efficient support & maintenance operation is one of the most significant of these.
Device down time
Device down time has three major impacts:
- Disruption in the lesson – making it necessary to share devices or get hold of a spare
- Disruption to the pupil – preventing them using the device at home and possibly limiting access to the materials and course work.
- Annoyance to the contributing parents – who are very likely to stop contributing when a device is out of action for repeated or extended periods of time.
Support & maintenance options
There are two areas to consider;
- Hardware – broken screens, hinges and keyboards being the main areas
- Software – forgotten passwords, viruses and accidental deletions being the common ones
For both of these support areas there are two main solution choices;
Whichever of these options you choose, you will still need some in-house resources and a secure area to manage the dispatch and return process, as well as handing out loan devices.